700g lamb mince
3 cloves crushed garlic
1 tsp each ground coriander and paprika
1/2 tspall spice
1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp honey
1/2 cup hot water
salt and pepper
1) Combine mince, garlic, spices and fresh coriander in a bowl and knead until smooth. season with salt and pepper.
2) Mould around 24-32 walnut sized portions into balls and set aside on a tray.
3) Heat oil in a large frying pan and fry meatballs until golden brown all over (do in 2-3 batches).
|Meatballs being browned|
4) Combine all the sauce ingredients in a bowl, seasoning with salt and pepper.
5) Pour tomato sauce over browned meatballs. Bring to the boil, then simmer on the stove top or bake in an oven heated to 180oc for 20 mins, stirring once to prevent sticking.
|Allow meatballs to cook in tomato sauce|
6) Break eggs into the sauce and continue cooking for 5-10 mins until eggs are just set. scatter with parsley and serve with bread and salad.
|Tagine of Kefta, tomatoes and egg!|
Recipe from "Made in Morocco: A journey of exotic tastes and places"
I served with a Turkish salad which I made using 3 tomatoes, 1/4 cucumber deseeded and cut, chopped red onion that had lemon squeezed over it and a bit of sumac sprinkled on top, fresh chopped parsley, olives and pomegranate molasses.
|Nan bread and salad|