|Delicious meal idea for ramadan: Spinach and feta borek. Yum!|
Puff pastry or filo pastry
Feta 1 - 1 and 1/2 block
Cheddar Cheese 100g
Spinach leaves (or if using frozen, saute with onion)
Onion x 1
Chilli flakes x 1/2 tsp
Paprika x 1tsp
Black pepper x 1/4 tsp
- Take pastry out of fridge/freezer to thaw
- Chop and boil the potato in salted water.
- Meanwhile, sauté an onion with some olive oil.
- Once boiled, drain and roughly chop into smaller pieces and add the onion, feta, spinach leaves and season with black pepper, paprika and chilli flakes. No need to put salt as the cheese contains salt. Taste to see if it’s okay and then add 4 eggs and combine.
- Make a mixture of egg, yogurt and melted butter to brush between layers if using filo pastry (if you’re using puff pastry you will not need this step)
- Brush a baking tray with butter.
- Add first sheet of filo and brush with yogurt, butter and egg mixture. Repeat until half of the filo sheets have been used up.
- Add the filling and spread.
- Grate some cheddar cheese if you like your borek cheesy (or if you just like cheese).
- Place a sheet of filo on top and brush with yogurt, butter and egg mixture. Repeat until all of the filo sheets have been used up. Add a bit of extra egg/melted butter on top of the last sheet and place in oven until golden brown.